Tennessee Spring

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took this photo last weekend in one of my favorite places in the Smoky Mountains. Spring is a beautiful time here.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback on composition and or post processing

Technical Details

Taken with Fuji X-T5, Fuji 10-24mm lens with polarize filter. Image edited in Capture One.

1 Like

Very nice shot, Shawn. I’m headed to the Smoky’s next week because I know how beautiful it is in the spring. Nice job on the water and not over processing the spring greens. My only suggestion is to clone out the small stone below the big stone in the BM. It takes away a little from the giant stone. Good job on the composition.

This is so lovely and inviting. That big boulder is such a presence and I really like how the stream disappears behind that downed tree - those give us good start and stop points in the photo. So I had a go in Photoshop to tinker a bit and hopefully bring out the strengths in the scene as you shot it -

First a 4:5 crop to eliminate some eye magnets and here is the layer stack -

The top two use a couple of masks generated with the TK8 Plug In - hue/sat targeting just the brightest greens which I felt were a bit hot and competed for attention with the water.

The water itself was a bit bright and lacked definition so I used a Lights 3 mask to isolate it and by selecting the blue channel it really gave me a good selection. Just pulled in the blacks a bit and the mid tones. You could go further with this, but you get the idea.

Hope you don’t mind. These kinds of scenes just knock me out and so if you have more, please post. And you, too, Donna when you get back. We just got another load of snow and so our streams should be at full roar, too.

I can see why this a favorite place of yours. I think you have done well to convey the beauty of this area. I think @Kris_Smith’s version does well to focus on the strengths of the image and eliminate the distractions.

You have certainly captured some lovely spring greens and the view looking upstream adds some wonderful depth to the scene, Shawn. I do like the couple of tweaks @Kris_Smith made as they elevate an already fine image up another notch. Was this taken in Tremont by any chance?