The Birds

Description:

Happened to catch this at Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge a few years ago. Certainly reminded me of that Alfred Hitchcock classic.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any comments appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

Canon 5DS R, 600mm f/4, 1/350sec @ f/4, shot from beanbag out the vehicle window. Minimal processing.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A really nice capture. To me it almost become an abstract with this myriad of bird “dots” against the banded colors made up of the FG, MG and BG respectively.

This is awesome! I see a lot of redwings in the mix, is that what they all are, redwing blackbirds? Great capture!

Very cool shot David! I like Ola’s comment - the banded colors in the background does make it seem almost abstract. The darker areas on both side edges mask the birds there.

I really like the image and thought a slight adjustment in Photoshop might help - I hope you don’t mind. I cropped slightly from both sides and the bottom, then opened in the Camera Raw filter and reduced shadows a bit. I think it brings out the birds a bit more.

1 Like

Hi @Steve_Kennedy, yes, I like what you did. Much improved. Thanks for the suggestions.

@Vanessa_Hill, yes, they are Redwing Blackbirds mixed with European Starlings, an invasive species here in Oregon.

@Ola_Jovall, thank you for the nice compliment.

1 Like

Invasive or not I love Starlings!

1 Like

Very nice image, I always love those groups. Although the original post works for me, the adapted version made it even more attractive. Nice work ! Cheers, Hans

What a stunning scene! It must have been thrilling to be there in person. I’m with Hans, where I like the second image a bit more than the first…the second seems a little less contrasty which I like, with the birds still front and center. But the colors of the background is just gorgeous!

Thanks all, I like the change Hans.

Cheers,
David