The Chase

Description:

A big flock of Caspian Terns was feeding on fish in the pond at the wildlife reserve the other morning. Lots of bird calls, which died down after most of them had been satiated :slight_smile: I noticed that many times 1-4 birds would give chase to a bird with its catch. Seemed pointless to give chase however, I never saw any chasers catch up to the pursued, but they sure tried.

The morning was overcast and I was trying for some fluttering wing action. As open as aperture as I could go, a slow shutter speed, and Auto ISO.

Specific Feedback Requested:

anything you see!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

D500 with 200-500 f/5.6 lens, 390mm, 1/200 seconds, f/5.6, (Auto) ISO 280.

In LR some lifting of the mid and highlights in Tone Curve, some Vibrance and Dehaze, and some masked Sharpening. Over to Topaz Denoise AI (Low Light setting) to help with the noise, and some additional sharpening.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

It wonā€™t enlarge for me but it looks like a very nice effect and interesting behavior. It does seem like a waste of energy.

1 Like

Very well separated, and I like how the one at the back is making the noise! Good BG too, but as Diane said, not enlarging.

1 Like

@Diane_Miller and @Mike_Friel , Iā€™m not sure why it isnā€™t enlargingā€¦posted this as all my prior posts. Any ideas on what causes an image to enlarge or not?
Diane - yeah, seems like a big waste of time!
Mike - I like that one at the back too. Kind of makes the story complete!

Awesome capture, Mark! I love all the action! It actually looks and sounds from your description like they are playing a game!

1 Like

Mark, The action looks good here and the birds stand out well, with the small fish completing the story. It seems that when the NPN software is slow, there are times when it creates the ā€œsmallā€ version but then fails to fully upload the large version. Iā€™ve taken to watching my posts. When the large version is available, the arrow pointer changes to an index finger. If the index finger doesnā€™t show up, then I go back into the editor, delete the upload text, which starts with ![ and ends with .jpeg) and hit the Add Image button again.

1 Like

Nice capture of the action and the birds. Dang lazy followers. They should get their own fish. The image tells a good story.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. @Mark_Seaver , thanksā€¦Iā€™ll watch out for the arrow pointer vs. index finger.