The Face of Cancer

This is my good friend, Leslie. She’s been fighting Triple Negative Breast Cancer for the last several months. Today is her last day of the “Red Devil” Chemo treatments. Though she has no hair to speak of, what she does have is an indomitable spirit that champions her above this dreaded disease.

Type of Critique Requested

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

This was shot with a one light source, louvered blinds with a good western, late afternoon sun. I fear I may have softened her up a bit too much, I guess to give her a more humanistic feel as the chemo and steroids do bad things to the skin.

Technical Details

D810, 50mm 1.2, f/4.5, 1/60, ISO 320, -1.33 EV
On1 for initial processing, then into TK for frequency separation, TK Lights Triple Play, then back to On1 Portrait for detail and sharpness.

2 Likes

It’s a lovely portrait. I don’t think you softened her skin too much - if you hadn’t said something, I wouldn’t have remarked on it at all. I can’t give any insight on the lighting; to my uneducated eye it looks fine.

Wishing her the best of luck and courage!

1 Like

Beautiful and powerful portrait. Somehow, the image seems to covey her uplifting spirit and positivity. :+1: Processing looks spot on to my eye, too.

Best to luck to her in her fight and may she win!!

1 Like

A very poignant image, Chris. I like the single light source…always felt that was the best approach for portraits. I think your processing is spot on for this. I like how her blouse/top blends into the background.

And of course I wish Leslie all the best and a quick and full recovery.

1 Like

Hi Chris,

The image is powerful and will provide Leslie with a reminder years from now of how beautiful and determined she looked even during such a low point in her life.

All of my very best wishes for Leslie and you!

All the best,

Merv

1 Like

I find this to be a powerful portrait. You have captured a very open, vulnerability that shows in her eyes. A portrait like this one can only come from a place of deep connection and that is evident here. Best wishes to Leslie for a full recovery and a long and fruitful life.

1 Like

To all: Leslie is a fighter with a strong faith in both her maker and herself that she can and will beat this insidious disease. All your best wishes, prayers and thoughts toward her recovery are much appreciated.

Powerful photo, Chris… no words, other than I am really touched by this image…

1 Like