The Lake

One of my favorite places to go for quiet time is the lake. This section of the lake has several areas of reeds that I always find relaxing for some reason. I’ve posted other versions of this area in the past.

I did stylize this version a bit by adding a slight Orton effect, adjusted the color balance slightly. Cropped off the bottom to create a more panoramic feel.

Any and all thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Nikon D7200, f/11, 1/640, iso 400 @70mm, handheld.

2 Likes

I like this very much, Linda. Eons ago I took one similar. You might consider cropping further - the top edge where the texture of the water changes. It would present a more uniform look to the water. The other processing choices you made work well. It’s lovely.

1 Like

Thanks @Kris_Smith. Good idea to crop from the top, which I did. Took off about an inch which eliminated the upper water disturbance and at the same time helped to emphasize the pano better. Appreciate your thoughts.

Linda, this does a great job of feeling peaceful and inviting. The reeds are nicely spaced and few in number. Their reflections are perfect. The mix of cloud and sky reflection plus the gentle ripples slipping in from the right add well to the contemplative feeling. I like the change in texture at the top. It’s a very natural bit of opening up to the world that extends beyond the small reed/reflection scene.

1 Like

I really like this, Linda. It has a very abstract, minimalist style to it. Nicely seen.

1 Like

Hi Linda! I love these kind of shots! I think you did a good job of framing. The reeds are on the lower third and your choice of cropping to go to the pano was a wise one as it compliments the subject matter and uses the frame most effectively.

If you have a 10 stop neutral density filter you could take this image to the next level by doing a long exposure! The motion of the water would smooth out the texture of the water and create those cool abstract effects!

The only adjustment I’d recommend is to have an equal margin between the far left reed and the far right reed to the edge of the frame.

Excellent job!

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts and suggestions, @Vanessa_Hill, @Mark_Seaver and @Michael_Torkildsen. Appreciate getting all of the different perspectives. Good thoughts for the next time I’m at the lake.

1 Like

Linda; Lovely, serene image. It’s obvious why this is one of your favorite places.

The darker patch of water surrounding the clump of reeds and trailing out of the frame is beautiful.

I’ll agree with @Kris_Smith for an additional crop. Maybe 1/4 off the top. Also agree with @Michael_Torkildsen for a long exposure. I like this one very much, and a long exposure would be a second interpretation. “The Lake II”

Since I’m musing about titles, it’s another plus of your presentation that pleases me. You made a simple statement about the location and skipped trying for something clever. I may get in trouble with the moderator, but yes, it’s in my humble opinion.

1 Like

Beautiful, Linda. Simple and elegant. Before reading any comments, my first thought was a top crop of the rippled water to further simplify, then I saw @Kris_Smith already tossed that in there. No other suggestions, just quite enjoying this one.

1 Like

Thanks @paul_g_wiegman for your kind thoughts. I do tend to keep my thoughts simple and have noticed that I am more pleased with images which are also simple. Appreciate your comments.

Thanks so much, @Harley_Goldman, I’m glad you are enjoying the view.

Your “simple thoughts” reminds me of a comment by @ravi in their critique of my Yu Garden image, [quote=“ravi, post:7, topic:22502”]
the wabi sabi effect
[/quote]

I’m getting in here late, Linda and have nothing to add except congrats on the Editor’s Pick! I can see why. I like this very much.

I’m coming in late too, Linda. Congratulations on Editor’s Pick. A lovely scene, and I can see why it would be a favorite. So peaceful.

Thank you, @Mark_Seaver for the vote of confidence.