The last light.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Hello everyone! I photographed this in Alaska. It is sunset on the mountain peaks of the Kenai Peninsula. The winter is long and cold here, so every bit of light is always cherished. I wanted to get that feeling of fleeting light.

Specific Feedback

I need help with color and feedback on my contrast.
Did I oversaturate the mountain colors, especially the shadow?
I hope I composed it well. Thanks for looking!

Technical Details

Canon 800 mm F11
R5
ISO 100
1/20 secs
exposed to the right
AWB

Hi Joe,
wow, that’s a spectacular mountain scene. I love the glowing peak and the beautiful clouds behind it. Alaska
 sounds like a breathtaking landscape.

You asked for help with the colors and contrast. In my opinion, the colors are too saturated. The lower part of the mountains is cyan. And parts of the clouds at the URC are very magenta/purple. It looks a bit unnatural.
Additionally, there is a lot of noise in the sky. I can’t explain that at ISO 100 and “exposed to the right”.

I’m afraid I don’t know a quick way to fix these things. Can you maybe tell us a little bit about the steps of your editing? I am sure we can help you to improve the work with colors.

I appreciate the feedback, Jens! I was trying to figure out what was off, and you identified it well. It does look unnatural.

I think I know where I messed up. I got too excited adjusting the white balance and color for the sky and landscape.

You are welcome, Joe.

Feel free to add an updated image to your original post.

Hi Joe,

I love the winter colors, the blues, purples, and pinks. I also love the way the cloud follows the shape of the peak in front.

In terms of processing, I agree with Jens that the contrast and saturation is high, and maybe the white balance a bit off. I really like the contrast between the softness of the sky and the more textured mountain. Therefore, I might want to experiment with luminosity masks and/or dodging/burning to separate the shaded areas of the mountain from the areas illuminated by the sun, while keeping the sky soft and light. I like doing it this way because it doesn’t add too much saturation and it’s easier to avoid darkening the blacks too much. Just an idea of different tools to experiment with to figure out how you want the photo to look like.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Hi Joe,

This is a wonderful composition!
And it does convey the mood of fleeting light in my opinion. :slight_smile:

The colors are off, but only if you consider what most of us perceive as ‘Normal’, That said, colors are very subjective, it’s always up to the photographer to decide what colors he or she wants.
And there’s no way for us to know what the actual colors were when you captured the image.

I did an example edit with a color temperature adjustment as well as a linear gradient Brightness/Contrast mask (in Ps) over the FG mountains just to add a little brighter luminance to those peaks (to make them stand out a bit more and to add separation).
Then I used a Color Balance mask on the FG mountains to add a slight yellow/red cast on the snow there so it would match the colors on the peak that’s being struck by direct sunlight.

The color temperature was done in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) just because it’s easier to do in ACR than it is in Ps. I just made sure the Red, Green and Blue values shown in the histogram window were all equal (with snow, that’s the most accurate way I know of to obtain the correct White Balance), but keep in mind that I added a little yellow/red back in just to match the single peak in direct sunlight.

The example edit may not represent the actual scene correctly and it may not be what you were aiming for, it’s just an alternate view for you to consider.

Anyway, you expressed that you were looking for a little guidance with color and this is about the best I could come up with based on my personal opinion.
As for contrast, that’s another subjective element, so, personally, I like a higher level of contrast in this scene because it helps to show details. However, If there was a lot of fog or clouds around the FG mountains, I would opt for much less contrast.
As for saturation, again, that is subjective as well and again, personally, I think the level of saturation shown is pleasing to my eyes :slight_smile:

The Real Question is: Are the colors, contrast and saturation pleasing to your eyes?

I hope this helps, maybe this will give you something to consider for future images.

All the best! :slight_smile:

P.S. I always forget to write things down. :frowning:
I meant to add that some people like to edit their images to appear as close as possible to the actual scene and that’s great.
I’m one of those people who prefers to add a few enhancements purely for artistic reasons.
Both methods are valid and respected. :slight_smile:

P.S. #2 Ha! BTW, I like your original version as it is (to be honest!), I think it looks really good! It could stand to have a little brighter luminance on the FG mountain peaks though. :slight_smile:

Edit:
Here’s another version of the original image with the luminosity of the FG mountain peaks raised, color adjustments were made with another Color Balance mask to compliment the color of the mountains in the BG on the right.

1 Like

@joe17 , your image thumbnail immediately caught my eye, so I think you succeeded! I love the contrast between the craggy mountains and the sky in the BG. Excellent comp!

Others have commented on the color issues, so I won’t go into detail. I do like the cooler WB you chose, but maybe match up the blues between the FG and BG, as @Jens_Ober suggested.

I think you could emphasize the light on the peak a little more and de-emphasize the sky a little more. The easiest way I know to do that is to create a “select sky” mask in ACR or LR and then create a separate “invert and duplicate” mask from this. Then you can work on lighting for the FG and BG separately. This would also be the easiest way I know to match up the blues between the FG and BG, as well.

I think your image would be a fine candidate for the Image Processing Challenge, BTW.

All the best,

Patrick

1 Like

A gorgeous image!! I think a little color tweaking could make it spectacular. The yellow on the peak feels unnatural. Sunset colors can be pushed in processing to yellow but in reality a soft peach is about as yellow as they really are. That and the cyan in the FG are easily addressed. I’d love to see a RP! Maybe just a tweak warmer in the WB for the starting point.

That looks like quite a telescope! We need more astro here.

1 Like

What a gorgeous looking scene, Joe! I think you succeeded in capturing that feeling of fleeting light with that last bit of glow on the mountain peak. You have already gotten some great suggestions on fine tuning the colors and saturation and this image is certainly well worth the effort. Beautifully done.

1 Like

Joe,

Another welcome to NPN! Gorgeous mountain landscape and most certainly you captured that sense and feeling of the “fleeting light”. Always something special watching that last light leave the scene - whether it a mountain peak or a tree top.

As far as the colors, I “might” tend to agree, but I must say this, that my very first impression was “Purple Mountain Majesty
” And that’s not comment on saturation per se, but if this is the epitamy of that phrase, I can’t think of a better example. And for that, I think there is some power to this scene. In fact, I could see this on any month of a calendar with the same name. This is a beautiful image.

Back to the colors, I’m a bit with Merv in that for the most part, it’s all subjective. I think the colors are pretty darn close to what might be considered believeable - with the exception of the yellow. Yeah, warm/cool color contrast are most always a beautiful thing, but at least to my eye, the yellow on the peak is a little too strong. Personal choice of course, but thought I would put that out there.

The noise in the sky isn’t that bad in the normal view, but of course more noticable at the larger size. I think running thru Topaz DeNoise or some other noise reduction would clean that up pretty nicely. this would make a gorgeous metal or acrylic print.

Thanks for sharing and we look forward to more!

Lon

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback, Julie! Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you, Patrick! I will work on it

Thank you for the feedback, Diane! I’ll play around with it.

Thank you, Ed!

Thank you, Lon! You guys are awesome. I love all the feedback. I’ll play around with the saturation and color.