The next generation

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Does the idea of new growth and rebirth from the new trailing vine over old seem like there is a cycle of life happening here?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This image is taken in a ravine i frequent throughout the seasons. This collection of past growth under new was telling me that there is a cycle that has been going on for a while. i thought it was interesting in a Ravine that is mostly brush but still shows beauty in a way.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback is appreciated from all 4 categories.

1 Like

Yes, I think that it definitely does! I think it does so because the vibrant greens of the new growth stand out so nicely against the darker greens in the background. I can feel the freshness and the rebirth and to me the image is full of optimism.

The diverse layers arranged in a diagonal way are very appealing to me. This type of composition underlines the kind of transition you are expressing in your image aptly in my opinion. I also appreciate your careful treatment of the mainly muted colors, while letting the yellow blossoms stand out. A well balanced image to my eye.

This is a very understated but engaging image, Duncan. I think you have succeeded in showing the cycle of life perfectly with the new growth slowly reclaiming it’s place. Your camera placement has created three very different diagonal layers which has created some depth to the scene. Very nicely done IMO.

Thank you all for your comments. I truly appreciate your impressions on this image. I feel that I’m getting better with every image. It’s due to you and this group of photographers. It keeps me wanting to improve dail!

Without reading too much this reminds me of a golden waterfall. It’s the first thing that came to my mind when viewing the thumbnail. When viewed large, that thought kind of goes away. I do get the idea that this is either the last of the Fall colors or the new growth in the Spring. So I do get the idea of the Circle of Life in this image. There is a sparkle of life and vitality I feel with the bright green/yellows in an otherwise monotone image.

I enjoy the flowing blackberry, and rarely can figure out how to capture that flow without conveying a jumble. You have done that nicely here. The parallel flow of the Forsythia is a wonderful strength. Your position to portray
that flow from its side was a key decision.

I did not perceive the vines as being the new generation of the title; I figured that the butterfly in this early spring scene was the subject and the start of the new generation. With that stuck in my head, all the stuff that was not butterfly seemed so bright as to draw attention from the subject, so I wanted to crop, rotate, and dampen highlights a lot.

OK, then I saw your thoughts on old vines versus new growth. Still seemed to me that extra elements were present to make that story not jump out; in this case the BG cedar. In the attached image, I cropped the top and side and darkened some of highlights that pulled my eye. Also flipped it, which to me made the downward flow of the vines go from left to right, which seems more natural/energetic to me.

So I learned a lot for the next time I try to work with my trailing blackberry subjects. Work from the side to convey the flow and find a parallel flow like your Forsythia. And of course, hire a butterfly as a model.

Great perspective! Thanks . The flow seems more evident his way. Thank you for your input. I really
appreciate it!