The only bird in town, or you will never know when a Mallard will poke its head up out of the grass?

Image Description

Literally this was the only BlueI saw at Hammonasset Beach State Park on March 16. I am posting two shot of this Heron, because of the coloring in the wing feather. I spent a long time trying to make them look natural. Maybe it was the ISO of 5000, but in every flying shot the coloring was the same.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

any

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon 100-500mm & 1.4ext, f10, 700mm, .7EV, 1/1600 and cropped to around 34% in 5/4 and 16/9. I adjusted the highlights and used a local brush on the wings and the background in the flying shot. (DXO Photo Lab 6.)

1 Like

Hi Peter. I’m not sure what your issue was with the wing color in the flight shot, but it looks fine to me. The mallard sticking her head up in the flight shot is priceless.

Hi Dennis
Maybe this shot show the color variation in the Blues wings can’t remember seeing before.
Peter

Photobombing mallard is priceless! I love the casualness of it all. Just another day at the office. The focus seems to be off the face in them, but the standing pose is so characteristic of them and then the humor of the second is so fun.

The colors look right to me. There is some variation in these guys, especially when molting or going from juvenile to adult plumage. Super wing spreads!

Hi Peter, colors look fine to me too. Nice series of this bird in a field. Maybe hunting for voles.

Hi Kristen & Allen
First thank you for the comments. I had the impression the blue in the wing feathers was suffering from the high ISO and sun direction and never took into consideration molting.
Thank you.
Peter