The Shape of Things in Stockholm + Rework

Rework with corner of building cloned out, thanks to David Bostock’s critique (below)

One of my favorite things to do while in the major cities of Sweden and Norway was to go out early and late in the day to capture interesting shapes that could be accentuated by the sky.
When I noticed this scene I had to stop and find the right perspective to show the geometry of the bridge lamps and the tower with the clock in an interesting way.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the darker FG elements, to me, they seem to help accentuate the shape of the lamps and the tower.
There are details in the shadows but I think I want to leave them dark but does it work for you?

This is one of the very rare images that didn’t need any post processing other than slightly straightening and a crop to 5x7. Everything shown in terms of color, contrast, etc. are all as shot.

Technical Details

Sony a6000, 18-105 lens at 87mm (in 35mm), 1/30s HH, f4.5, ISO 100, Ps for border - crop and straightening.

Merv, the glow in the sky really helps with this image. I also like your composition a lot. My only slight note is that I wish the far left light in the left lamp was not crossed with the building…but moving a bit would likely have skewed the comp too.

I think the foreground darkness actually helps funnel my eyes to the sky, lamps and tower. Well seen, captured, and processed.

Cheers,
David

Hi David,

Thank you for the response and for the comment about the left side where the lamp intersects with top corner of the building.

I remember that I kept trying to go lower (and get closer) to solve that issue but I started to lose the diagonal line between the top of the lamp pole on the right, through the tower center spikes and onto the top of the lamp pole on the left.
In hindsight, I wish I had of done it anyway, I wish that I had gone for a compromise but I suppose at the time it didn’t feel right.
I think that since I had made that specific decision, I just forgot about it becoming an issue later on?
I should have shot it both ways.

I hope that didn’t sound like I was making excuses.

I guess I could cutoff the corner of the building :smiley:

Either way, it’s an issue that I should do something about so thanks for pointing it out! I appreciate it!

And more than anything, thank you for taking the time to comment and for the kind words!

Much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Merv, it’s just an observation, not an issue. :slightly_smiling_face: I really like your image as it is. Of course the nit picker in me just has to point out those little things. Don’t try to change it at all, sir.

Cheers,
David

And that, my friend, is the reason for posting my images, I want folks with fresh eyes to point out those little details that I have missed for whatever reason (ignored in this case :roll_eyes: ).

Cloning out a little of that corner would make a difference and I’ll happier with it as result of your critique.

So, I really do appreciate it. :slight_smile:

The best way for me to give critique in an honest way is to receive critique in an honest way!

I was hoping that my explanation of the concept of the diagonal line across the tower wouldn’t come across as defensive, maybe I could have worded it different?
Maybe the word “issue” was too strong? I just remember it being an issue in my mind at the time.
My apologies for that, kind sir :slight_smile:

Always say what you think when it comes to my images and just know that it’s always taken in the spirt of honest, constructive critique.

Thank you, David!

1 Like

Wonderful shapes and beautiful darks against a great sky! You chose the perfect time to get the streetlights to glow. The light globe touching the building isn’t an issue for me – just too much else to enjoy in the frame!

Merv, this is a really neat silhouette image. The sky is perfect, and you even got the street lights to show. Nice.

Hi Diane,

Thank you for your wonderful comments :slight_smile:

In Stockholm in July, the timing of the daylight it isn’t as difficult as you might think, the sun rises at around 4:00am and doesn’t set till around 10:00pm but it never really gets dark that time of year. :slight_smile: I think it was about 9:00pm in this shot (according to the clock on the tower :smiley: ).
I have shots of us in Oslo, Norway having a drink outside a pub at 2:00am and you can still see very well, it felt like late evening to us.

Thank you, @Shirley_Freeman! I appreciate your kind words :slight_smile:

@David_Bostock, I did a rework where I cloned out a bit of the corner of the building where it intersects the bridge lamp.
I think it looks much better so thanks again for mentioning it!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The rework looks wonderful, Merv. Awesome. Little Tip, if you move the repost to the top of the post, it will become the thumbnail image that everyone sees before clicking into the thread.

Cheers,
David

Cool! :slight_smile:

Thanks for that as well as the very kind words on the rework, David! :slight_smile: