Three Does - rework

It’s been a long time coming but here is rework. I’ve added canvas to the right by copying a slice on the left. Cloned out background trees. A bit of a lightening and colour change on grasses.

These 'roos are a mix of Western Red and Eastern Grey, which makes them quite unique. I was quietly watching from behind a tree, knowing that their daytime eyesight is pretty poor. Something alerted them from another direction.

Specific Feedback Requested

I like the pose all three have given me, but wonder if I’ve lost the viewer engagement?

Technical Details

3 Likes

I’m engaged - wondering what caught their attention! Wish they were more to the right in the frame, but it may not have been possible. Good sharpness in the soft light. Do the two species interbreed?

Thanks Kris.

I would be thinking more to the left to give them more room to look into. I might have subsequent images that show a little more all round.

Yes. The two species interbreed. The Reds are the very arid desert roos and the greys are more on the coastal fringe. So, somewhere in the middle, they both occur.

Hi, Glenys. That’s definitely an engaging image. Just like the does, I am also curious to see what they have been looking at right now. It is fascinating to observe wildlife and learn from them. I also like the soft tones of the overall photo. As @Kris_Smith commented, I’d also love to see a bit more of that direction they are looking at. However, I know that concerning wildlife, we cannot always get what we want. So, I understand the limited space on the right side of the frame. Just as we can’t always get the shot we want, I wonder about the brown object close to the edge on the right side. I find my eyes moving there trying to figure out what it is. Perhaps a bit of cloning could erase that distraction. Overall, it is indeed a very intriguing image.

Nice one. I like the sense of “the moment” that they are intent on something. Their coloration, head, and ears, looks a lot like the deer I see in our backyard in Oregon. And, they appear to have the same ecological niche. Are they prey for any other animal? Here, our deer might be taken down by a cougar.

Hi Glenys! What a great moment and a great capture! For me I think the main thing is the crop. I think because they are center and even a bit right of center, their gaze leads the eye off the image because you want to know what caught their gaze, but you don’t necessarily feel “with” them. I think tightening up some of that space on the left would make the viewer feel more engaged. I did a crop like that below. Also, because I’m a shameless fiddler and I can’t help myself, I did some things with color balance, curves, cloning, sharpening and a touch of vignette just to make them pop a little. That stuff is purely subjective so please take it with a grain of salt :grin:

Thank you everyone for the encouraging comments.

Thank you, Adam, for taking the time to rework this. I love what you’ve done. You’ve persuaded me to have another crack at it!

Glennie, this is a fine view. Having them all looking the same way says that something over there has their attention and it’s not the photog. Having an animal staring at the camera means that the photographer is disturbing their natural behavior. I especially like the muted colors and how they all blend together.