Tiger Swallowtail

Another butterfly seen last week at the botanic gardens here.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7D2, Sigma 150 f2.8 macro, 1.4x TC
ISO 400, f16, 1/400s, hand held

@allensparks.wildlife
2 Likes

Wonderful detail, Allen, in this swallowtail. I love how when I zoom in you can see each of the blue dots on the lower portion of the wings. Just beautiful.

Such a specimen for this time of year - ours get ragged as heck. Great job getting so much of it in focus. That is my failure with these larger butterflies. It looks a tiny bit muddy to me…I’d lift the mids a bit and see if it sings.

A real beauty, Allen. Nice details in him/her. I agree with Kris, maybe just a touch just to make the colors pop a bit. Nice find and capture.

@Kris_Smith , @Shirley_Freeman , Here is a subtle attempt to add a bit of contrast while keeping the colors realistic. Not sure the difference is that noticeable but here it is. Working in Levels.

2 Likes

Allen, you are right, there isn’t much difference. For me, anyway, I thought the colors in the upper part of the wings, in the yellows and blacks, were more of the issue. I probably should have said that. The bottom portion, with the blues and browns are pretty nice, in my opinion. I’m good with what you have here, but if you were to do anything else, just selectively on the upper part, while still trying to maintain the natural look as you remember it.

Gorgeous, with amazing detail and a wonderful perch!!

Nice, but I would have liked to see even more boost on the yellow/orange…

Congratulations on the EP – well-deserved!