Time for a new printer

My old Pixma Pro9000, Mark II decided that it no longer wanted to talk to the computer. I tried two different laptops and three different usb cords, so I’m confident it’s the printer. Given the cost of these things, it’s unfortunately probably not worth looking at repair (shipping alone would probably come close to the cost of a replacement).

I know Canon’s replacement for this printer is the Pixma pro-100, but I’m wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with it or if there’s an Epson or other printer that is competitive in terms of price ($133 after rebate) and quality. I would like to keep the 13 inch width.

I don’t print a lot-just a few times a year, so I don’t want something that is going to go through a lot of ink just warming up, but I do prefer to do my own printing.

I recently purchased a refurbished pixma 100 from Amazon and it didn’t work out of the box I returned it and purchased a brand new one and it worked after about a 30 minute set up. It works well and the wireless functions work well also.

The printer quality seems good but I’m still calibrating my processing for the printer so I can control the results

Thanks, Nathan. It’s good to hear that.

Dennis
I’m an Epson lover. I had an R1800 that cost me about $500 and lasted for 16 years. So cost over the years used was relatively low. I just bought a Sure Color P800. It’s 17 inches wide and works like a dream. They have a 13 inch version and if you look on their website or you call their store, they frequently have rebates. I got a $300 rebate for the larger one and the rebate for the smaller was $200. Admittedly, these are more expensive than the ones you are talking about but I am assuming my second one will last as long as the first and therefore the investment is worth it. Also, the quality is superb!

@Dennis_Plank Late to the party but I’ve had a Canon Pro-100 for about 18 months and have very much enjoyed it. It’s a bit of an ink hog if you’re going to print a lot it will add up. Print quality is great for the price of the printer and was pretty easy to setup on my iMac and my MacBook.

@Kathy_Snead I’m considering upgrading to a larger printer to be able to print 16x20, any issues with your P800? Are you able to get a reasonable amount of prints out of the inks? I was thinking of upgrading to the Canon ProGraf Pro-100 but reviews seem to be common that it blows through inks and they are really expensive. Thanks in advance.

I’m a long time Epson guy. Still using my trusty Epson 3880, which was replaced by the P800.

If you haven’t seen it, the P800 is now discontinued and is being replaced by the P900 (17" carriage) and the P700 (13" carriage). They are not yet available, but should be someone in the next month or so. If you’re considering Epson… I’d wait for those printers. The P800 is a great printer, but paper feeding of heavier fine art papers has always been problematic and in the literature for the P900 Epson makes reference to better paper handling. Also there is no longer any black ink switching needed between photo black and matte black.

Edit: B&H says expected availability for the new models at the beginning of June 2020.

I’ve had my Canon Pro-1000 for about 18 months now and I can’t speak highly enough about it’s performance. No clogging and no wasted ink switching from colour to black and white, which I understand was an issue with the Epson P800. I mean, I don’t think you can go wrong with either the Epson or the Canon. But if you’re into printing, I’d spend the money and go top of the line.

My Epson 2200 is still functioning and produces beautiful prints. I will have to retire it because ink availability is an issue. The printer outlived the expected lifespan for that model. Durability and print quality should compel you to examine the Epson printers.

I always had good luck with Canon printers. My pro printer that I bough back in 2004 still works. Here’s ink cost per print for pro 100
https://www.redrivercatalog.com/rr/cost-of-inkjet-printing-canon-pro-100.html