Towers of the Virgin, Zion National Park

I’ve been waiting for a reason to post this. Most folks get shots of the Towers of the Virgin from the back of the Visitor’s Center. Most of mine are from there too. However, this one day, I decided to tramp off to the left, cross a small stream, and head into another field to the left of the visitor center.

It provided a much different view of the towers, with the nice fall color much closer in the image.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

50mm, 1/5 sec @ f/16, ISO 100, Tripod, Polarizer

2 Likes

A wonderful look at this well known and highly visited park, David… :+1:
It was an annual visit for me years ago when I roamed the area with very few visitors. It was long before the shuttle service was needed and you could drive into the valley area of the park. :smiling_face_with_tear:

It’s been forever since I was at Zion, but this is what I remember! Super job getting away from the usual tripod hole, but still producing something that is immediately recognizable. The colors though seemed off to me and I wanted some more zip, life and vitality - yes a midtones treatment for clarity and color. Hope you’re ok with the change. Grain of salt and all that.

1 Like

Love the change, Thanks Kris.

1 Like

I like the layers of different textures, the way the rocks are sandwiched between the organic layers of trees and clouds. I also like the subtle color palette.

Thank you, Chris.

I love your composition, David! And I really like the yellow against the red rocks, so beautiful!

1 Like

Love the yellows and browns in this picture. I think I prefer your original to Kris’ edit. Just a lovely shot!

1 Like

David,

Sadly, I’ve NEVER been to Zion - or frankly any of the Utah-AZ natural spectacles - of course a Chevy Chase drive by at the Grand Canyon once… :wink: :roll_eyes: Zion is most definitely on my bucket list!

Love this landscape from this iconic park! Although I’ve never been, I can say with confidence that it’s refreshing to see a viewpoint other than the standard pullouts or visitor center images.

I think your original looks great, but also like Kris’s bump in color/sat. In both cases, you’ve got a very complimentary sky (thankfully - flat gray wouldn’t have been good.)

I have no nits or suggestions. Beautiful image captured from here.

Lon

1 Like