Transforming

Image Description

Once while hanging around with a few friends from the south (Georgia & South Carolina), I tried to explain spring to them from the perspective of a northerner. They didn’t get it. Up here, spring comes late. Calendar spring is mostly winter. We get substantial snowfalls right through April. So when that finally quits, spring can arrive. Spring is extra special and welcome when you’ve had snow on the ground since November.

This was taken May 20, 2020 on what was my first kayak outing. I was coming back to the Wisconsin river from a side channel and when I saw this I had to stop and marvel at it. Nearly as colorful as a fall photo, the trees are finally making their voices heard again. With winter taking up 1/2 the year, we crave color come March and April, but we don’t really get it until May. People use the least excuse to go outside, to skive off of work, play hooky from school, get the boat out or simply tidy up the yard from the winter damage. Of course I hit the water as soon as I don’t have to wear a down coat to do it!

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Ok so it’s bluebird skies and harsh light, but it still sings of spring to me. I feel so positive when I see it and that I have to grab it and grab it now, because it won’t last.

Technical Details

Handheld in the kayak

Lr for a pano crop and the usual S-curve for contrast, but I deliberately lowered clarity to keep it soft and only used a little sharpening & texture. Played in the HSL panel to boost the luminosity in the greens and yellows. A touch of lens correction & distraction removal.

1 Like

Kris, I love spring, and always look forward to it arriving here in North Carolina. Sure, our winters are mild usually, with spring like weather a day or so here and there through the winter months. I don’t know how you can deal with it coming so much later, and snow on the ground from November through April, but I can sure see you having to stop and enjoy this scene. I love how you placed the falling/leaning tree in the thirds corner on this image too. Really nicely done.

Ah, yes – gorgeous soft colors, cradled by soft blue top and bottom! One poor tree that’s given up the ghost but his friends celebrating life.

I love the pastel spring colors in the eastern states. Something we don’t get out here, either. We have two seasons – rain and drought. Someone once said of Minnesota that they also had two seasons. Winter and road maintenance.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman & @Diane_Miller - this kind of thing is like magic after a hard winter or one with a lot of snow. Makes it more precious, knowing how fleeting it is.

It’s kind of that way with any place this far north, except with black fly/mosquito season sandwiched in there. That’s the reason I don’t hike in high summer - too many bugs. Out on the water, they disappear. Glad you found the softness in this and the fallen brother. They look sad, but nurse logs are key environmental features. Precious sources of food and shelter.

1 Like