Tree and Mailbox

Re-Work
Newbie just learning how the edits work.

My personal preference is the original more contrasty version.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
Steve

Original

Coming over the pass and entering Taos NM. Important icon to locals. Notice the half-cut.
This image is in the private collection of one of the directors of the Harwood Museum.

Specific Feedback Requested

All things

Technical Details

Lumix S5 early morning DxO BW conversion

1 Like

Wow, really nice composition and scene, Steve. And impressive work with the B&W treatment as well as the subtle toning. Well done.

2 Likes

Hi Steve,
Just to be correct on the name, it’s the “Harwood Museum”, no “d” :slight_smile:

This a great image with great tones and details.
I wonder who the mailbox is for.

I’m trying to understand the relationship between tree and mailbox. Perhaps there is none and thus having them together provokes interest.

1 Like

You are correct the museum is the Harwood my favorite small museum in the US. It is hidden on a back street in Taos, NM. Earlier in the year they had a Gus Foster reto show he does panos printed up to 16 feet. He did these way before digital created his own enlarger for his 35mm by 36 exposure one frame negatives. check him out
He is also one of my collectors.
The mailbox is at the driveway of an indigenous family. When I was making the image an older woman drove up and gave me that look.( another photographer making a photo of our dead tree. I smiled and she smiled back.)
The Taos mountain has a way of bringing you in or rejecting you.

1 Like

Steve, wonderful image and a great conversion. I love the randomness feeling of the mailbox in the middle of nowhere coupled with the starkness of the tree. My only nit might be to burn the highlights of the tree a bit.

Great shot!

Thanks @David_Mullin
I re-edited the highlights on the tree. Let me know what you thick
Steve

1 Like

@Merv thanks for catching the typo. Do you know Taos?

Steve, I think that’s perfect!

Yes, I know him well :slight_smile:
Sorry, Just kidding.

I’ve been there a few times but the last time was in the late 90s, so it’s been a while.
I used to travel out west and northwest quite a bit for business reasons so I didn’t have much time for photography. I live in NC so it was a long distance trip for me.
I remember crossing the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge the first time, it’s one of the most awesome bridges of the west in my opinion.

Thanks, Steve

My preference is for the original version, Steve. It has a mystery to it that the rework loses in my view. Awesome!

Hi Steve,

Did you happen to get any photographs of the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge? or the Rio Grande River?
I’m wondering if the cut in this image is the Rio Grande Gorge or maybe the Rio Pueblo?

The Rio Grande Gorge Bridge isn’t the best or most appealing architecturally in my opinion, but it being somewhere around 600 feet above the Rio Grande River is what impressed me so much.
Probably the best perspective for a shot of the bridge would be from the river looking up and that would probably mean you’d have to take a river rafting tour.

Hopefully my wife and I can take a trip out west again in the spring (first time for my wife).
Not sure if we’ll make it to Taos though, we’ll just have to see how it works out.

Thanks, Steve :slight_smile:

@Merv
I had a client in Taos and was there over several weekends going out every chance I got. I will look in the hard drive and see what I can find. The Pueblo was closed because of Covid when I was there.
Enjoy your upcoming trip. Do not forget Utah. Yes, way back in the image you can just see the Gorge.
Thanks

1 Like

Thanks Steve,
If you have time and are so inclined, it would be very interesting to see what you have, especially for those of us who have never seen the Rio Grande Gorge or that famous bridge.
We will certainly spend some time in Utah, my son is stationed at Hill AFB.

Thanks, again :slight_smile:

1 Like