Tree Roots + Rework

Any feedback is most welcome.

Fujifilm XT-4 XF50-140 100mm 1/125s f/8.0 ISO 3200

1 Like

Oh how I love those roots. I took the liberty to play with the file a little bit and I find that as an alternative composition, you can also crop this more tightly and isolate just the root. It is a very interesting abstract for sure. So many to see there. I have also cleaned up a vertical “line” that I think is somewhat distracting.

2 Likes

Now that’s interesting. There’s something really creepy about it. Like intertwined serpents. The image has been sharpened to suck an extent that it looks like a lithograph, a figure out of an old book. I think that’s it’s primary appeal to me.

I like @Adhika_Lie’s rework because it makes it more of an abstraction of lines and shapes.

Nice work.

For suggestions. I would deal with that stick on the left side going up and down. Everything is going sideways in that area so it really draws attention to itself. You could also vignette the two top corners if you so wanted to. It night make a difference.

John,
This is fantastic; looks like something that H.R. Giger would design. The way the roots are intertwined it looks like it belongs in some haunted woodland. I do like @Adhika_Lie’s rework as it ramps up that dark mood even more. there are a couple of vertical sticks toward the ULC that I would clone out as they just seem to catch my eye a little. I am really enjoying this.

I very much like this. I especially like the rippley reflection. I don’t think this image would have the same impact if the reflection were perfectly clear. It looks like we are seeing the roots through a fractured mirror. I like the effect very much, and black and white is the way to go with this. Very nice.

Thanks so much @Adhika_Lie for taking the time to rework this. Based on your approach, I reworked the image. It was my first time using the “Content Aware Fill” in PS so I think my elimination of the vertical line is not as clean as yours but I gave it a try.

Thanks also to @David_Stokely, @Ed_Lowe, and @Igor_Doncov for your input. Much appreciated!

Let me know if this works better. JT

@John_Teti_Sr_46 love the rework. I will go one step further by burning the horizontal smaller branch on the left, but that’s a minor nit. I think the rework is a major improvement in simplifying the narrative.

Thanks so much for your help Adhika. JT

How can you go wrong with strong roots and B&W? Great subject matter and strong processing makes this a real beauty, John. Actually, I like all of the different crops; don’t know if I have a favorite but I think even a vertical or square composition showing more of the trunk would also be nice. @Adhika_Lie’s removal of the vertical tiny vine helps a lot. Beautiful work, John.

Really well seen and such a great subject. I love the choice of B&W as it allows me to see exactly what you were seeing which I believe is the intricate pattern created by the roots. Really lovely image.

Thanks Bill. Much appreciated! JT

Thanks for the kind words John. JT

John, the rework is simply stunning. Eliminating the trunk and showing only the roots simplifies this greatly, and dramatically elevates the image. The added contrast tightens this up even further, well done.

Thanks so much Ed. I’m glad that you think that the rework made such a difference.