Tucker Swirl (+1 re-edit)

Lowered exposure, cropped from the right and bottom and added contrast and dehaze to the foam with a radial filter -

An old shot from Tucker Brook makes its debut after sitting for almost 10 years. I don’t know why it fell through the cracks.

Specific Feedback Requested

Compared to a 10-second exposure, the swirl has more presence due to the S-curve at the top. Without that I just didn’t like it as much. Lighter or darker overall exposure? I’m leaning toward the darker myself. Thoughts?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod and possibly a CPL

A few new tools and techniques really make this come to life. First Topaz Sharpen since with an exposure this long, it was a little soft. Also a little clone stamping in Photoshop to get rid of an eye-magnet. Improved masking tools in Lr were also used. It’s kind of fun doing this when I’m not shooting new stuff.

@the.wire.smith
2 Likes

Definitely! The concentric circles are more distinct, better defined. The composition is also stronger in the llc. I also prefer it’s richer colors although you could argue the orange colors on the right bank are a bit strong. The only thing I like more in the lighter version is the S in the foam. Oh, and having more of the tree on the right was better although that’s debatable because the foam becomes less of a presence.

Thanks for the feedback @Igor_Doncov - I put a re-edited version of the 30 second shot in the OP. I think it works to bring the swirl to more prominence.

I like the added drama in the third post but I think maybe I miss seeing the base of the tree. It’s such a lovely scene that I can enjoy all of the variations.

Thanks @Diane_Miller - it was one of my favorite places to photograph when I lived in NH. It’s Tucker brook and it has lots of scenes like this and a lovely waterfall. Great in all seasons. I just wish I’d gotten in the water for this one. Ah lessons learned.

With your love of creeks and the nature surrounding them, I wonder if you’ve read Annie Dillard’s “Pilgrim at Tinker Creek”?

I’ve heard of Dillard, but haven’t read her. I will go see what that’s all about. And yeah, ever since I was a little kid I’ve loved a brook. We had one snaking through our neighborhood and we used to play in parts of it all the time. Great fun.

I think you’d enjoy the book – a very nice mix of emotional connections with nature and fascinating natural science information. It’s a slow, meditative read. I’d suggest sitting on a log next to a creek, with a nice glass of wine.

This is a lovely shot!

The first edit is most pleasing to me, both the crop and lighter exposure. I particularly like that I can see through the water in the foreground, get involved with the detail there and then trace back up to the vanishing point (but this has more to do with the effective composition). The detail and sharpness on the leaves and tree trunk on the right, as well as further in the distance, is also satisfying.

There is a hard-edged arc at the lower right of the swirl. Is this the spot where you did some retouching?

Thanks @Laura - processing is so subjective isn’t it? I see what you mean there and no, I think it’s just the way the bubbles went. I can’t remember doing any major retouching down there.