Untitled >> "You'll Get Lost..." +edit

Edited with slight transform:skew on left:

Orig:

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I’m curious as to what reaction or emotional response comes to your mind. I have a title or an emotion that I’m imagining, but hoping to get your thoughts without any introduced bias.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

From the same set as my “Blizzard of '22” posted a couple months ago. I never looked at this RAW image cause I thought the other one was the best of the lot. I’m glad I reviewed my unprocessed files…

While the entire trip to Yosemite last fall was wet and drizzly, I did actually drive up in elevation one morning and met with snow. It was delightful to see and the perfect backdrop for the snow was the stark, burned remains of a forest fire that had come thru just a couple years prior. The ICM in this situation actually creates a blowing snow type effect which comes from the snow accumulating on all the barren branches.

Technical Details

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @44mm, f/16 1/4s iso 100. single frame ICM vert + diag motion.
Cropped along the top to remove some blown whites.

Specific Feedback

Of course all comments, suggestions and feedback welcome! Thank You!

2 Likes

Hi Lon,
wow, that looks amazing. I really love your ICM work.

The picture gives the impression that it was taken in a forest. There is a heavy snowstorm raging right now. The wind is so strong that even the trees lean a little to the right.

I really like the image as it is. But my mind is a bit irritated by the leaning trees. It always wants to straighten the picture. :rofl:

Hi Lon.
wonderful image here.

Like, Jens, I’m reacting to the wind blow together with some snow. And I do like it.
While looking at your photo I realize I was tilting my head to the right, but after a few moments i feel natural your composition.
A really nice , intriguing image

Hi Lon,
Having grown a bit tired of the “standard ICM trees photos” circulating, I was immediately drawn to this wonderful and refreshing photo when I saw it in the suggested topics.

I get a feeling of having a dream of a light snow storm. It’s not the cold and unpleasant kind but rather a feeling of “having my mind blown clean and fresh”. I also get a sense of the sun wanting to break through which further lightens the/my mood. I also like the slight tilt of the trees, as I feel that they are that way because of the wind. It almost feels like they’re dancing.

My impression is definitely blowing snow!! And definitely gorgeous!! But like @Jens_Ober and @joaoquintela, the leaning trees bother me a bit. They actually feel a little contrived and would be easy to correct by distortion. But that’s just my OCD.

And now that I’ve read your description, I’m actually a little surprised it is really snow. That’s only because you are such a master at extracting alternate realities in scenes!

Really Nice !!! The Lines and the Movement.

Lon, my immediate reaction was I was in this dream state or perhaps something like purgatory. Not quite awake but not fully in deep sleep. Wonderful image full of emotion for me.

Thank you all for your comments and reactions. Yeah, not to hard to visualize the forest and I’m glad to hear all the various reactions. I chose this “initial reaction” because I didn’t want to bias anyone’s reaction with my own. Of course with ICM - there is no “pre-conceived” vision - I’m the first to admit it’s random… but there are results that can then be interpreted in many imaginitive ways. I look at this and I see a semblance of a house of mirrors… only in a forest of repeated trees in a blinding snowstorm… and and the feeling if you stepped 10ft in to this scene, you would immediately get lost. Only Hanzel and Grettle could find their way out with a trail of bread crumbs… But that’s me. I’m enjoying everyone else’s reactions and comments.

I’ve gone ahead and re-worked slightly by transforming/skewing the left side to straighten the tree on the left. I know the trees on the right are still leaning, and I’m guessing the desire to see the straight up and down vertical is mostly from the left side tree (as we typically view left to right.) My impression is that the progression of the trees leaning to the right is evidence of the wind and fierce blizzard and blowing snow!

Thank You @Jens_Ober , @joaoquintela , @StéphaneJean , @Diane_Miller , @Gill_Vanderlip , and @Alfredo_Mora , I apprecaite hearing your intial thoughts and reactions.

I hear you Stephane and appreciate the sentiment. Tree ICM’s are kinda like the Milky Way, Dune images, etc. etc… I’ve come to really enjoy the ICM process - and totally unpredictable results… and my approach with the trees and forest images ---- if it does come out as a typical vertical motion ICM… then I’m going for color, color, patterns, contrast, abstract… no rules apply - I’m not trying to evoke a message… But every once in a while the random splash of paint on a canvas can produce something that actually can evoke an emotion. I think this is one of those times. Maybe 1 in a 100… So I appreciate you taking the time to offer your thoughts.

thank you Diane for your kind words! Yes, snow - but NOT falling snow. There was little falling at the time (not enough to be recorded anyway) - but the effect is from the snow that accumulates on the numerous little branches still remaining after the wildfire - Little bits of snow on the branches - with the camera movement produce a wonderful effect.

Thank you all! These are some of my favorite ICM’s and keep me motivated to keep at it.

1 Like

Lon, my immediate response or feeling (without looking at your intent or other’s reactions) is windy and overwhelmed, as by a blizzard or smoke from a forest fire. I hope it’s the former but am afraid it could be the latter, knowing you’ve had your fill of extreme events in California this year.

Now just reading your image description and seeing it was a combination of snow and burnt trees, Whoa, what a unique juxtaposition of elements, superbly enhanced by the ICM! Wonderful image, I love it!

1 Like

The two words that come to mind are “ghostly” and, “wind-swept”. To my mind this would be a perfect illustration for a story about The Windigo (a supernatural being belonging to the spiritual traditions of Anishinaabe First Nation people). The Windigo is the spirit of winter but is also cursed to roam in a constant state of ravenous hunger. This image has a beauty but also a bleakness, a place I might wander and never find my way out.

Lon
You dont see much B/W ICM but this really works. I prefer the original as the tree angulation complemnts the diagonals of the snow. Great ICM, very creative.

1 Like