Vinca

Image Description

Vinca, or periwinkle, is one of our earliest Spring flowerers in Korea.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I wanted to catch this slightly underexposed in the late afternoon shade, as then the flowers take on a very attractive shade of blue, rather than the pale blue or even violet tinge which they have in strong sunlight. While I stacked 10 photos, I still found it impossible to avoid a few soft patches, as the action of my lens is pretty “insensitive” to my manual focusing - much as I love my macro.

Technical Details

D500 + 105mm macro 1/500 f5.6 ISO 400

10 photos stacked in Zerene. Cropping, mild tonal adjustments in PS.

1 Like

Oh these are such fun flowers to photograph. I had masses of it in the yard in NH. In my experience, these are a warmer shade of blue - leaning toward light purple than you have here. Digital cameras have a hard time with blue and purple. I’ve found a bit of a nudge on the blue slider in the HSL panels sets it right. I see a few misses in the stack, mostly in the background, but a few in the leaves. I really like the folded up flower as an accent and the composition is pleasing. A bit tight of a crop, but that’s truly a taste thing.

1 Like

Lovely photo, Mike. I like how the petals look like a swirling pinwheel creating nice movement. I am curious if you tried lighting the entire image just a bit as it seems a little dark, IMHO.

1 Like