Waiting for spring!

We’ve had a very wet winter so far, which is a wonderful if temporary respite from the western drought. But I’m getting anxious to find some flowers to shoot. It looks, through a wet window, as though there may be some blossoms starting on a wild plum down by the creek. I dug into some I had shot last year to look for inspiration and found this one. This is a gnarled tree with awkward branch structure and I was frustrated trying to find clean compositions, even armed with pruning shears. And the flowers are so delicate they will fall apart at the slightest shake of a branch.

Type of Critique Requested

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I was drawn to this composition by the blush of light in the BG but limited in where I could maneuver it in the frame. I decided I liked it off-center, but didn’t have much choice. I’m also not sure why it is gold – that would normally be the case for grass that has dried in summer, but this tree is a spring bloomer and the BG is a grassy hillside. I didn’t mess with the colors so this is a happy mystery. Maybe some stray mustard I don’t remember…

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 11.16.06 AM
Natural light, minimal adjustments in LR, a focus stack in Zerene but no idea how many frames. A little more BG cleanup in PS with some low-opacity cloning.

Diane, these plum tree blossoms are wonderful. I like how you captured them in various stages of blooming to tell a bit of a story. The focus stacking is well done and the subject seems sharp throughout. The gold in the background definitely gives it a nice, warm mood.

I’m definitely sick of the rain here in California and am anxious to get outside and take some flower pictures, and seeing this photo makes me even more anxious.

Lovely photo, Diane. I was laughing to myself, because we (down here in Texas) would love some of that rain you’re having there in California. My brother lives in northern California and has truly had it with all the rain, wind and snow! I guess the weather powers that be know what they’re doing! Can’t wait to see any flowers blooming here. Great shot.

This is beautiful. I agree with the responses above and just want to add I like the framing of the blossoms by the branches in the background.
Waiting for spring in Vancouver, BC as well. I have crocuses that got covered with snow today!

Diane: Wonderful springtime subject and a superbly crafted image IMO. At first I wasn’t sure about hte OOF branch on the right but I think it adds context without being too distracting. Top notch effort. >=))>