Washed up and Frosted

The local reservoir is drained in the winter and on a recent icy morning, I went out early in hopes of finding some frozen puddles. I saw these frosted water plants that had been left along the shoreline. I loved the delicate, feathery look the frost had given them. I was thinking of Sarah Marino when I was shooting these and trying to channel her aesthetic.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I’d love to hear Sarah’s thoughts and understand that there is a way to tag a photo for that, but I have no idea how to do that.

Technical Details

3 Likes

This is very lovely and I’m enjoying looking at all of the details. I like that your composition is really clean and that the image is filled from edge to edge to edge with the patterns of the frost covered plants. One thing you may want to consider would be to lessen the vignette a tad. Although, I’m usually a huge fan of using vignettes in images, it feels a bit too strong here. I think it’s because the image is so perfectly filled corner to corner that there isn’t much of a need to focus the viewers eye on anything in particular.

@Tom_Nevesely Thank you for your suggestion. I’ve toned down the vignette.

Very nice! I think that this is much better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with everything that @Tom_Nevesely has stated. IMO, for this type of intimate scene image that have no specific part but instead rely on the pattern and texture it could be good to have an even light all over the image surface to let the viewer explore all parts of the image.

This is a very nice image I like all the patterns and frozen ice. Both add interest and they keep my attention. The sharpness also adds to this image. Nicely seen. I agree with @Ola_Jovall that I don’t think this photo needs a vignette.

I also really like this one of yours Chris, and I agree with Tom and Donna that it looks better without the vignette. The sharp stem lines and textures of the ‘feathery’ leaves are great, but for me it is the subtle colour underneath the frosting that makes the image nhold together really nicely.

@Donna_Callais @Phil_G Thank you for chiming in on this one. I appreciate the input and agree with it.

What a lovely find – well photographed and presented! The slightly different piece in the center provides a subtle focus point.

1 Like

@Diane_Miller Thank you. I’m glad you noticed the center. I had tried to find something to do that as I was looking over the weeds.

Chris, this is really nice. Love all the frost on the old dead plants. Am I understanding that you wish for Sarah to view and maybe comment? If so, typing @ in front of Sarah_Marino will notify her that you wish her to see and review. You could actually edit your comment with the photo and just add the @ sign in front of her name. Not sure that is what you were meaning. Excellent photo and I like it as presented. Can’t think of anything that would improve the shot.

@Shirley_Freeman Thank you very much for your kind reply and the helpful information.

1 Like

Hi Chris, I just stumbled upon this and saw that you referenced me in your discussion of the photo. I was going to comment anyway since I love this! I think it works really well, overall. My only two comments: the upper left looks like it has some very bright spots. You could consider toning then down since they seem a bit brighter than the rest of the scene (just to even out the tonality across the frame). Also, you could consider cloning out a few of the brighter spots or distractions along the edges, especially the left edge. These are both tiny things because I otherwise love this and would have been so happy to find it myself.

@Sarah_Marino Thank you very much for taking the time to give feedback on this image. You have some very good points. I didn’t notice the bright spots and have taken care of them. You are always an inspiration to me.