WC#936 After The Rain - Bright Angel Rainbows

Shot from the Bright Angel lodge on the rim of the Grand Canyon a few days before Christmas back in 2016. While everyone else fled indoors while a rain (and sleet) storm passed overhead, I remained at the overlook, with both myself and the camera gear well protected from the weather. I wasn’t going to miss a second of what I hoped might happen if the sun were to break just as the storm passed - my patience and perseverance were rewarded.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

This image has been in the ‘re-edit this one day when I’m better at it’ collection for a while and is for this reason I’m submitting this image for critique now as I’ve been looking at it in this form for so long I can only see it like this. This was edited from a single image of a 3-image bracket, the brightest frame, but it does look like I’ve got the full dynamic range in that one raw file.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

It’s been a while since this was edited, but I’m fairly sure it was a single frame, 70mm focal length on a full frame Canon 6D. ISO and f/stop were in the ideal ranges.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig: @jfischerphotography

1 Like

That is quite an impactful capture and a heck of a rainbow. It does looked like the dynamic range works great. This should look fantastic in a big print. No suggestions here.

1 Like

Jon: MAKES ME WANT TO BE THERE! Spectacular capture. Good luck happens to those who are prepared. Wonderful image of a special moment. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

John, the double rainbow looks great and getting a touch of sun on the distant peaks is a great addition. This is very dramatic and well done. While the whites are quite bright on the right, they don’t look blown and fit the lighting very well. What a catch!

1 Like

Jon,
I would say your planning and perseverance paid off handsomely as this is gorgeous. This is dripping with drama as the clouds swirl around the canyon walls and the double rainbow is the icing on the cake so to speak. Fantastic light BTW.

WOW! What a capture. And to think my teenager daughter (at the time) said “Yeah, its a whole in the ground”

I recall overhearing a Park Ranger saying how a bunch of people were upset that the temperature inversion had the canyon filled with fog and they couldn’t see down in, not realizing how rare of an event that was to witness. I have a bunch of shots from this trip I need to revisit now that I’ve overhauled my workflow nearly completely since then.