We All Connect

I know this is just a squirrel and not anything spectacular. I have encountered many squirrels in my life but there was something special about this one. We first saw each other at the park and I could see she was pregnant, she wasn’t really scared but slowly climbed up this tree and kept turning to watch me watching her. Until she settled on this branch and we just gazed at each other for the longest time. I think she stood out to me because she was so calm and I felt like we made a connection even if it was brief. I love being looked at by a wild animal, it makes me feel like I am a small part of their world.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I know this isn’t a wall hanger by any means, but does it draw you in at all? Into this little critters world? Anything else at all!

Technical Details

Nikon D3400, ISO 3200, 1/400, f6.3, 300mm(450mm equivalent), handheld. Slight adjustments in highlights, exposure, sharpened in Pixelmator Photo for iPad.

1 Like

What a sweet portrait of this little lady, Vanessa. Her body posture, along with her expression makes this a wall hanger for me. Great shot!

1 Like

Aww, you’re too kind @linda_mellor . I’m glad you like her! She was a sweetie!

Vanessa,

To me this is what wildlife photography is all about…the connection, seeing each other and having a shared encounter.

It doesn’t matter what the subject matter is, it matters that it touched you and that comes through in the image. Personally I think there is too much pressure and focus on “ideal species” and this was a “stop and smell the roses” moment. I am all about it.

And…I highly encourage shooting what you want and not shooting for anyone else. The story is awesome and I like how she is leaning in…just as curious about you as you are about her.

It is well shot and you did great by blurring that background. Wonder if you took any other angles trying to get that back branch out of the frame? If not, I get it. I find more and more these days I try to work many angles to get as clean a shot as possible.

She stands out because of the composition. One thing you can try if you want to in LR or another editor, is to dehaze the background behind her so there is even more attention on her. She deserves it.

Thanks for sharing this moment with us.

Hope that helps…Julie

1 Like

This is just a terrific shot all the way around, Vanessa. Yeah, we can shoot squirrels all day every day, but we seldom catch this kind of connection, or this kind of relaxed pose. Details are really good, as well. I might try to tone down the bright background a bit, but it’s a super shot as presented. Well seen and captured.

1 Like

Hi @Julie_Steelman!
Thanks so much for your feedback and suggestions. I tried bringing the brightness down in the background but it seems to not be working with what I have. But it did make me notice an awful purple strip on the tree branch! So I adjusted that a tad. I’m glad you like my squirrel and story.
Thanks so much for taking the time to do this!
Vanessa

Hi @terryb ! Thanks so much for your feedback, yeah, I agree the background is pretty bright. I’m glad you like her!

1 Like

You are so welcome. All we can do is try, right? It’s a great story and moment. Don’t let the sexiness of a species persuade you from shooting what speaks to you.

Julie

1 Like