Weekly challenge posting is too challenging

I created a new post on the recent “Slow” weekly challenge, but posted to the description rather than to the place it is supposed to be posted. I just spent five minutes trying to figure out what the mistake was and still don’t know. I’m above average computer savvy and still can’t figure out what I did wrong. So, my observation is the set up is too complicated. Perhaps you could make the process more user friendly by combining the description with the actual photos.

I’m sorry you’re having trouble Tony, all you need to do is go to the weekly challenge category and create a new topic just like you would in critiques, etc., the only difference is you add the tag for that week.

@Mark_Seaver we should probably close the description topic after creation so nobody can reply to that topic.

I hope I’m not beating a dead horse, but it wasn’t intuitive to me what “add the tag for this week’s challenge to your post” meant. Precisely what is the “tag”…that could mean many things to deluded people like me, and “add” where? There are more than one place to add the tag. I know a lot about how my brain works, and have come to realize at age 70 that I often cannot see the forest through the trees. It’s a kind of sensory input disorder, and the truth is a small but significant number of people have this problem. Instructions that seem clear to most people don’t seem clear to me/us. I worked in a hospital for many years and helped develop safety guidelines and instructions. We would spit something out that seemed perfectly clear to us, but inevitably there would be a small number of people who just didn’t get it. There would be a sentence or phrase that would derail their mind and it would start marching down the wrong path. I really want this site to be successful because I love it so much. I think some of the past complaints about the site not being user friendly are due to this sensory input problem some of us have. Thanks for trying to improve so we can all have fun and navigate the site with ease!

On the same subject:

Would it be possible to display as a choice only the tag for the current challenge when posting a weekly challenge? There is no point in providing choices for the future and the past since those can’t be used. Perhaps that’s contributing to Tony’s confusion.

I was thinking along these lines as well. At a minimum, the current WC tag should be at the top of the list rather than having to scroll… yes, for advanced users you can type in “903” and find it quickly… but really no reason to have all the outdated tags. Not a huge deal in the overall scheme of things.

While I like the ideas, unfortunately it’s not possible at this point. I’ll keep it in mind as new features come out and see if we can improve this.

1 Like