White-Crowned Sparrow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I liked this more for the setting. I like the perch and the way the background leaves frame the sparrow. I would want a better pose from the bird.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4TC at 700mm; 1/1000 at f10; ISO 12,800 with NR in Topaz.

Great shot of a nice little sparrow. I like the framing of the leaves but, for me, it is a little too much. Maybe darkening it a bit or cropping some off the top. Nice to see pictures of common birds.

1 Like

Nice shot of the White-crowned, Allen. I do like the setting. With the bird looking down, I think this might look a little better if he were higher in the frame. I don’t know if you have anything more on the bottom, but I like the aspect ratio, so if you can just move the bird up a trifle I think would make a difference.

You might also consider bringing down the brightness on the lower and upper ends of the perch.

We had one singing in the rain on a garden fence this morning. A great start to the day. It’s not spring without a White-crowned song.

1 Like

Nice catch Allen. I view these as photogenic sparrows but rarely get the chance to see one much less get a photo. I agree with darkening the perch on the lower right. I’m fine with the composition but I could see trying a version with more room at bottom. Nice catch.

1 Like