Window to North Cascades w/ repost

Repost:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was eating lunch and looked out the window and saw this scene developing. Grabbed my camera, tripod and a coat and ran out to the deck. By the time I got set up, the clouds were getting very close to the top of Three Fingers Mountain, so I hurried to get this shot before the Window closed. Three Fingers is on the left and is the most prominent mountain in the image. The mountain on the far right is Devils Peak, with Glacier Peak behind it. Big Bear Mountain is in the middle.

Specific Feedback

This was taken on January 22, 2022, so I’ve been pondering it for over a year. I didn’t think the color version worked well enough so today I decided to convert it, but it is extremely rare for me to convert to BW, so your opinion of the conversion would be very helpful. I would also like to know what you think about the aesthetics. Does this image work?

Technical Details

D850, 70-200 at 200mm, ISO 64, f/11, 1/50th sec. with tripod

Before conversion, I started with DxO PureRaw 2, then changed to Tony Kuypers’ linear profile and used normal exposure and contrast settings. I cropped the bottom to this panorama view to eliminate the annoying powerlines. Converted to BW in LR, used Dehaze to bring out detail in the lower clouds, and adjusted yellow, blue and green channels. Last, I used Topaz DeNoise AI.

2 Likes

A delightful scene Steve and the lower clouds and black sky really focus the attention on the mountains. I like the pano comp. I believe I would consider boosting the contrast somewhat, but it’s still a great catch as is.

Steve,

Great job taking advantage of the “window” of opportunity! :grin: The window, or sliver between the ground fog and the encroaching clouds up top work fabulously in framing the beautiful mountain range. I even like the glimpse of the tree tops.

Also great job with pulling out the shapes and undulations in the lower fog. Very cool.

I think a great choice with the B&W, even though I might be curious what the color was like. But before I comment on the B&W any further, I’m interested in your vision, intention with the conversion. I’m asking because what you’ve presented is quite low in contrast. I think what this does is emphasize the foggy atmosphere - ie. the mountains are still partially obscured by the atmosphere itself, the fog. If it were color, I think I might expect more clarity of the mountains, with hints of blue in the sky contrasted with the beautiful whiles of the snow-capped peaks.
So I can see processing with the intent of a foggy, low contrast image. Otherwise, I’m wondering if increases the contrast changes what you intented? Just thinking out loud.

BTW, well done on the crop. The narrow presentation works perfectly to also emphasize the “window.”

Lon

Thanks @Bill_Chambers and @Lon_Overacker for your comments and suggestions! I added a new version at the top. I increased contrast primarily (I also found a few small spots to erase).

Lon, I like and appreciate your questions. This was a quick “grab and go” capture. If I would have been a few seconds faster the clouds wouldn’t be touching the top of Three Fingers! But I’m old and slow. :wink: There was no blue in the sky at all - see color version below. My intent for the processing was to put my best foot forward without going too far. The mountains were fairly clear of fog. The foothills were covered with it but the mountains were clear. This is the first “grand landscape” I’ve converted to B&W in several years so I was trying to be very conservative with the sliders.

Here’s the color version:

1 Like

Thanks for the response Steve. Repost looks real good - very subtle, but I think noticable difference.

I didn’t want to say anything about the dust bunnie… but glad you caught it. :wink: :roll_eyes:

I always appreciate being notified when I miss a dust bunny. I’m also always embarrassed that I’m that blind! :star_struck:

1 Like

I wish that was my view while eating lunch!

The mountains sandwiched between the clouds is attractive, and I love the pillow-effect of the lower clouds. I hear the above comments about the low contrast, but looking at your original I think you’ve pulled off the conversion well.

Thanks John! I appreciate the comments.

YES !!! I love this shot. I might would have vignette this ever so slightly. BUT It stands just like it is.

Thanks Gill! I should have thought of that! I just replaced the repost after adding a slight vignette.

1 Like

Steve, this is very cool. Nice work catching this one. The repost works quite nicely. Well done.

I’m good with your original or your repost, Steve. In the original it’s slightly moodier and since the clouds are very soft and without texture the soft original processing works really well for me. But I can also see why others have asked for a touch more contrast. Again, I think they bot work but I guess it depends on what you’re after.
I love the original color version as well. Yeah, it’s very subdued but the subdued colors really work well in this type of scene where you have soft rolling fog/clouds on the bottom and soft hazy skies above. Honestly, I can tell you which I prefer because they are that close. All three of them. At any rate, you have a wonderful scene here that you were quick enough (age and slowness aside) to capture. :rofl: Well done!

Thanks David! I’m not sure which version I prefer either. I’m leaning to the original post for the reasons you mention. That’s very unusual for me to prefer a B&W. I guess anything really is possible. :crazy_face: