Wood Duck

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This duck, along with another male and a female, were in a pond a few minutes from my house, on my “daily” walk. So pretty thrilled to see one close to home. Also thrilled it was the first really sunny day in a long time.

Specific Feedback

I like the setting with the different colors in the water; but I can see where some might not like all that green and would want to tone it down a bit. Considering the water shows ripples, I thought the reflection came out fairly well.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 mm with 1.4 tc at 700 mm; 1/1000 at f10; ISO 800

I’m finding that with the TC, even with the eye focus engaged, the number of keepers is less than without the TC. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Very nice, Allen. All that green just means it’s spring. All too soon it will be “all that brown”. I like the composition and the exposure on the duck. I’m guessing that the AF is just a factor of the high f-stop. Remember when Canon wouldn’t engage AF over f/5.6? Any AF system is going to have problems in low light.

1 Like

Nice! I can never get near these guys. Too skittish. I scared a bunch of Hoodies in my brief kayak outing today. How ever did you time that reflection? It’s pretty sweet. All of mine are wavy and weird. I wonder if the added magnification of the TX helps engage the eye detect because it’s larger in the frame. He’s got some gorgeous color and the focus is spot on. Consider me green with envy.

1 Like

Hi Allen
Some dayI hope to photograph a wood duck, their coloring so cool. Love the reflection,eye contact and feather detail.
Peter

1 Like

Hi Allen, such a beautiful duck. I like the colors and composition and also the setting. Such a treat to capture these in the wild.

1 Like

Lovely, with a great reflection! I can’t say I’ve done careful comparisons with and without a TC, because I’m rarely close enough to anything to shoot without one. But one factor is that with a longer focal length, slight camera unsteadiness or subject motion is magnified, and any motion makes AF (and especially pinpoint eye AF) more difficult.

1 Like

Thanks, @Diane_Miller, that’s kind of what I thought. Maybe I should take a monopod on my walk; a tripod would be too heavy and cumbersome.

Report back! (Hopefully with some visual evidence!)