Yeah, I'm Starring At You!

Image: Yeah, I’m Starring At You!!

Description: This image was captured near Simcoe, Ontario. It is a Great Horned Owl. I have noticed over time that Owls have a very intense stare about them and this detailed image of this one’s eyes says it all.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any and all comments welcomed.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, Lens: EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM @ 400 mm,. f/11.0, 1/200 sec. ISO : 400. Image edited with Photoshop.

7 Likes

great symmetry on display here! However did you get so close? Great detail and intensity.

Thank you, Kristen, for the kind words. I have found that where I live, about an hour outside of Chicago, it is near impossible to see, let alone photograph an owl. This was captured at a raptor workshop. Bob

Ah very cool. There is a raptor rescue and education center here in northern Wisconsin that I’ve been meaning to get to for years. Seems like I really should do better since all I seem to do is scare them out of trees when I’m in the kayak. Seriously, I’ve done it three times. Twice was same owl, same tree (probably since they’re territorial). The third time was different river and GHO, but dang!

This workshop was in Ontario, Canada about an hour outside of Toronto.