Yosemite Classic +RP

Adding a reworked version addressing the comments. Thanks for the feedback!

Couldn’t help myself - had to complete the Yosemite trifecta - so far, it’s Yosemite leading the way, but of course there are many, many other icons!

This is actually from my most recent trip in May. Been posting a lot of images from that trip and hadn’t planned on posting this one… but then what the heck, the Weekly challenge came up and so the perfect chance to post!

Nothing special here. My friend Kyle and I came here in hopes of some clouds, some earth’s shadow, but alas, nothing materialized.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback and comments are of course welcome.

Technical Details

Nikon D800E 28-300mm @200mm f/13 1/10 iso100. Probably had a polarizer on

1 Like

Lon, it is indeed a classic look at Yosemite and Half Dome. The layers are very nice. I do think that some contrast processing on Half Dome might look good, it seems just a tad washed out. I really like the small snowfield sitting on top of Half Dome.

The layers of the landscape and the light are great. I agree with Mark that Half Dome looks a little washed out and could use some contrast. Nice image.

Really enjoyable lighting here. The warmth on half Dome and the detail in the shadows in the middle layers are well done.

Thank you @Mark_Seaver , @Chris_Baird and @David_Schoen for the comments and feedback.

Yeah, agree, not only a little washed out, but hazy. I think the rendition is pretty close to reality - lot’s of air between our viewpoint and the valley. But amazing how PS can make magic with haze… Thanks for the honest feedback, I think this version looks much better, but perhaps a little further from reality. But it was a disappointing sunset, so glad to get something to take away…

Thanks again!

Lon, the extra contrast in the redo looks very good. Choosing “how much” post processing is always a challenge if you’re trying to show nature “as it is” versus as “we wish it were”. The extra contrast version still looks very realistic.

1 Like