Young Scrub Jay

Young Scrub Jay

This is a small bird bath we have in our back yard. We have had two Scrub Jays for several years and each year they have at least one young one. One of the parents we named Stubs (he seems to lose his tail feathers every year). The other birds do not appreciate them since they take over and even destroy eggs and kill other young ones. They are now taking over for robins in our area.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
7DII; 100/400 @248; 1/320th; 6.3; spot; +2/3rd; WB auto. slight crop to remove sprinkler that refills water in bath.

A nice capture with nice light on the bird and good detail. I think it would be worth toning down the yellow-orange in the BG. That would be easy without masking as you can just work on those colors, which shouldn’t affect anything else in the image. You might consider some low-opacity cloning to soften the highlight on the upper edge. I’m undecided about the OOF rock on the left, as it pulls my eye a bit. Maybe some crop from the left?

Very pleasing capture of this scrub Jay. Good job on the exposure, detail, perch, and background.

Nice job, Jim. Interesting story on the Scrub Jays and Robins. We’ve had scrub jays moving into the general area, but not our property. There are still plenty of robins thus far. I like the image, though the out of focus rock perch in the lower left is a bit dominating, I don’t know what you could do about it unless you cropped very tightly.

Thank you for the comments and critiques. Not sure I can do much with the left out-of- focus area. I can do something about the bright area on top, but I like the bright yellowish area behind the jay.