Your Majesty

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A deep frosted and subservient elderly Scots Pine Tree appears to be bowing to his King or Queen in a courtyard of other gathered pines at a riverside location in Glen Torridon during a spell of very cold winter weather. Hope you enjoy.

Technical Details

Fuji GFX 50S (the old one), GF 100-200 zoom, f/16 at 1/8 second, ISO 100.

1 Like

This is very striking, Ian. It has a classic fine art feel to it. Wonderful. The frost is icing on the cake. :slightly_smiling_face:

Dang! What a find! I absolutely love Scots Pine. Great metaphor here too. Caught my eye. Nicely seen!

1 Like

A deep frosted and subservient elderly Scots Pine Tree appears to be bowing to his King or Queen

Hi Ian,

That was a very good description of the scene! :slight_smile:

Love the atmosphere in this, the colors, the frost, the framing, all of it looks really good!

I’m not sure if this would have been possible or not but at say 100mm and say 50 ft. from the tree for example (and just guessing the distance), f8 to f11 might have been worth exploring just to see if you could get a shallower DOF to further emphasize the bowing tree. Just a thought really.

I decided to try an edit to see if a bit more BG darkening might bring out the Scots Pine a bit more but I’m not sure if it helped or not. Maybe not?
Maybe just a slight vignetting or maybe just leave it as it is. :slight_smile:
You’ll have to be the judge of that.
Just tossing out ideas and random thoughts for slight improvements, it really looks great as is though! :slight_smile:

Oops, forgot to add the edit - :laughing:

Note: I did do a little manual blurring in the BG but very slight.

Original below

That’s a three with character, and I like your description. The small details that show in the large view are nice too, especially the frost as @David_Bostock noted and the red branches of the trees at the top.

I see where @Merv is coming from on getting that tree to stand out a bit more since it is the star of the show.

1 Like

Ian,

Wonderful photograph. That tree has such character, and I can see it doing just as you describe. Even if you had not mentioned your description I think I would have arrived at a similar conclusion. The color pallet is beautiful, the lighting sublime, and the level of detail is enthralling. While a bit more separation of the tree from the background right where the trunk bends would be nice, achieving that through a blurred background I think would take away from the overall photo. I would just leave it as is.

Such an unusual and wonderful tree!! I think it would be wonderful to be able to separate it more from the BG. Maybe a wide-aperture focus stack, or very careful light painting on the tree…??