Craig (again)_

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

In my previous posting of an image of Craig, some observers saw banding. Do you see any in this one, which was much more carefully processed? It is an infrared image.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Craig was just outside Amboseli National Park, so it was permissible to get on the ground for a low angle shot. I took this image in infrared because I like the impact of an IR image with a subject like this.

Technical Details

Sony a7 converted to infrared, Sony 24-70 f/4 lens, manual exposure, f/8 at 1/1250th, ISO 400.

First impression? Nick Brandt!!!

Hmmm. I’m on an iPhone and can’t seem to go back to uncover the hidden text so may have to post a second reply.

OK, I can edit. Wonderful to get low and close!! IR is a wonderful tool for creativity and gives this image a look that captures a bit of extra attention — not that it needs it! Wonderful color difference between the elephant and the foliage! Well done!

I really like that “sepia” look, and the pose. If it were mine, Id’ consider cloning out that long twig in front of its body. Fine capture!

Hi Charles,

Wow,

I like the sepia tones and the POV used for the subject makes a very strong comp. The twig is fine and it helps with emphasizing the large size of this huge elephant. Awesome image!..Jim