Dirty Picture

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Here’s a shot I was lucky to grab of a pair of CA Quail playing in the dirt late in the day. I shot this from my garage and was afraid that if I got any closer they would’ve bolted. I realize this capture is not perfect but I liked the “action” of the sunset lit dust cloud blasting up. D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod/gimbal, 1/1000th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 4000, AI Clear, cropped to 3735 x 2808

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

This is quite a capture Dave. You’ve gotten an amazing amount of detail in the quail. I really like the determined look the its face. Also, admire the softness and formation of the cloud of dust. It’s such a wonderful photo. Thanks for posting it.

A nice action shot with good detail. Looks as if the its partner got the worse end of the deal.

Really nice behavioral action captured. Love all the dust being kicked up. I see what looks like processing artifacts on the head of the bird and at the rear. Still a very interesting image.