Sandhill Trio

I went down to the Merced National Wildlife Refuge yesterday after hearing that there were lots of migrating waterfowl which was true. Here’s a flying shot I got of some sandhills flying.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the shot. I’m thinking that the background isn’t too distracting being OOF and somewhat in the distance. I might’ve had some more meat on the left but that was all I had.

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 750mm, ISO 1100, cropped to 4324 x 2955, Photo AI

1 Like

The background adds to the image. The context and environment work well.

Just too tight in the frame left to right. Here’s a quick version to see what it might look like with breathing room on both sides. Also a small CCW rotation to get the horizon leveled out.

A well captured photo image, Dave. The 3 birds showing different wing positions are great and I like the background which tells the environment well. I like what Keith did showing open space in the direction of flight. I know sometimes that is hard to capture without zooming out a bit. Well done.

Wow, Keith’s image is really interesting. That content aware fill is impressive.

Dave, I am impressed that you capture all three birds in sharp focus and not overlapping. I’ve never been lucky enough to catch these folks in flight. Well done. The background doesn’t bother at all…it gives us a sense of place.

This is a definite improvement. I keep forgetting about photoshop’s content aware cloning feature. Thanks for taking me by the hand here.