Stellar Steller's

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the subject’s pose, and the perch. I’m wondering if the cropping is okay.

Creative direction

I’m just after an artistic look for this subject.

Specific Feedback

I’d like technical feedback in general but especially cropping suggestions.

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/1600th, f 8.0, 660mm, ISO 2800, cropped to 29232 x 3444, Photo AI

Description

We currently have a lot of steller’s coming in to the backyard and I get a kick out of their look. I thought this one struck a nice pose for me.

1 Like

Hi Dave, this is terrific. The crop and composition are wonderful. The lighting on the bird is really good and the blurred background is perfect. The only thought is that I might try to tone down the light on the bird…it feels just a touch harsh. Maybe a bit of clarity reduction or highlight reduction…just a thought. A minor one a that. Wonderful image.

Hi Dave, the DOF and details look really good on the bird so I’d say your settings were just fine. You managed the side lighting well with details present in the shadows. I’m wondering if you specifically chose this lighting angle for affect or if this was more by chance (or maybe to attain the nice BG). The curving perch while rather large adds another dimension to the image.

This is excellent, Dave. The shape and angle of the perch makes this image for me, adding a third dimension that really works. Normally, I’m not at all fond of perches that go in and out of focus, but for some reason the blur on this is pleasing rather than disturbing, I suspect due to the f/8 you used as I’ve seen other of your images with perches that aren’t parallel and they don’t have the same look.

The side lighting also adds a bit of character to the bird that full on lighting doesn’t have and the background conveys vegetation without being at all obtrusive. All-in-all a very artistic portrayal of this bird.